Ok, So this is more for my records than for an audience, a short case study on Genium and untapped ways to get great and positive marketing.
Why this works so well??
- Because today brands are desperate and highly intrusive: Marketing is mostly about connecting emotionally with the right target audience or just making an impression. A single impression might not be enough to influence buying decisions but that’s a start. To emotionally connect companies go to strange lengths becoming really emotionally intrusive like in the case of this video
The creators name it social satire intended to make a change, well sure. The far leftist agree! The far right guys feel a little ashamed and the ‘normal’ people are outraged! Why stereotype a whole society and malign a festival because of a few bad apples. Here’s what my Holi looks like.
That is my family coming together and celebrating, from the little ones to the elders, cousins, uncles, aunts and everybody else. It’s never really about strangers really. But I don’t see any of this on the major media channels really. Why? They have a business model- CLICKS. The more outrageous it is the more controversy. And the more clicks it gets. How am I so sure that the sole intent is spark outrage? Well, the way it’s prepared. Here’s the recipe, take something controversial. Present it in the most provocative manner and give it a boost and voila!! Brands are desperate today, and something humorous that you can connect with is like Ice in hell.
- Everyone likes funny. And it’s done so well that it can not possibly offend anyone.
- But it’s also something that a lot of people can connect with. THAT IS SO GOD DAMN TRUE!!
The approach of the desperate brands relies on assumption that the audience is DUMB. I say people are getting smarter. Which is why Son of Abyss and TVF is more popular than ScoopWhoops video teaching you “How to molest a girl on Holi“.
I know exactly the adrenaline rush when clicks are your only motivation. When that happens any publicity is good publicity. But for all the brands and people who rely on controversy rather than wits and smartness- Bullshit can get you short term success and even the Oval Office but trust me once people start seeing through your SHAM you are done.
I am not saying “Stop because it’s your social responsibility or obligation” but rather because if you don’t you build your image as a troll brand and then people will start despising you. And when that happens YOU will be the one saying “I wish I had stopped“!
Wanna see what real social satire looks like?
Here’s the Recipe
- It’s smart, funny and enjoyable.
- People really connect with it
- It also bring up a social point and in a way that might actually work rather than just making people angry
- It DOES NOT FUCKING OFFEND ANYONE!!
How hard that is to understand. To the writers writing scripts like “Lesson on how to molest a girl on Holi”. If you are so dumb you can not present your point in a smart way so that it actually works and you resort to provocation, Accept that you are dumb and don’t hide behind “I care about social issues” logic. And if you wanna say that provocation has a better impact, Influence an impact greater than Biswapati Sarkar and then say that outrage works better and I will follow you.